Unified Mindfulness Course
“Mindfulness is an unreasonably effective way
to increase human happiness.”
– Shinzen Young
Unified mindfulness is a comprehensive system that unites core practices of the world’s contemplative traditions with the science-based methodology of the West.
Developed by internationally respected, innovative mindfulness teacher, Shinzen Young, it unifies the various contemplative traditions, within one scientifically based modern secular system. UM is known for its precision, flexibility and the wide range of techniques it offers. It allows you to focus on techniques that fit your needs and interests, with practice elevating fulfilment within daily life. This system is used by leading institutes like Harvard and Carnegie Mellon for their research on meditation.
Unified Mindfulness is a modern mindfulness system which defines mindfulness as the development of three attentional skills working together: Concentration, Sensory Clarity and Equanimity. These skills help us
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase attention and memory
- Heighten fulfilment – cultivate appreciation and joy.
- Develop positive behaviour change
- Deepen insight and connection to wisdom
- Foster compassion and kindness to ourselves and others
Learn how to build or enhance your meditation practice and apply a range of simple, yet powerful meditation techniques to daily life, through this eight week curriculum. Suitable for all experience levels including beginners.
In this eight week course you will learn:
- What mindfulness meditation is
- Benefits of mindfulness meditation
- A range of meditation techniques, to help deepen positive states such as joy and manage challenging ones like stress, burnout or difficult relationships
- How to practice meditation in stillness
- How to practice while doing everyday things like listening to music, exercising and simple tasks
- Week 1 – Introduction to Unified Mindfulness
Introduction to the “See, Hear, Feel” technique. Discussion of what you’re hoping to get from this training and how to use the See, Hear, Feel technique in your life.
- Week 2 – How to Relax and Recharge with Mindfulness
Introduction to the “Feel Rest” technique and how to use it to manage stress. Relaxation is always available, but it can be subtle and hard to detect. Understand how to detect and pay skillful attention to relaxation, cultivating it and experiencing it more frequently and more deeply.
- Week 3 – Mindfulness in Daily Life
Learn how to use the “See, Hear, Feel” and “Feel Rest” techniques in daily life. This can have a radical positive effect, over time. There are 3 types of life practice: Micro Hits, Background Practice and Formal Practice. Discover how and when to use each of these to accelerate your mindfulness practice and apply it to any situation.
- Week 4 – Getting in the Zone & Going with the Flow
Discover the “Feel Flow” technique, and how you can access it for increased well-being. You’ll also get an introduction to ULTRA – Shinzen’s Universal Library for TRaining Attention – which includes every significant approach to contemplative practice.
- Week 5 – It’s Fun to Be Spontaneous
Discover and develop the hidden spontaneity in ordinary experiences through the Auto Move or “Auto Walk” technique. Through this focus, you emphasise the effortlessness of experience.
- Week 6 – Feeling Good and the Magic of Music
In this session, you’ll learn the “Feel Good” technique, which helps to cultivate pleasant feelings like joy and rebalance our “negativity bias”. You will also learn to practice with music, while developing mindfulness skills.
- Week 7 – Applying Mindfulness to Inner Opportunities and Obstacles
UM is unique and empowering in this regard. You’ll gain skill in deciding what technique to use when facing challenges, and how to make the most of situations, inner or outer.
- Week 8 – Wrap Up: Your Unified Mindfulness Road Map
In this closing session we will cover, the rhythms for practicing mindfulness so the journey you’ve begun remains lifelong, transforming your life, day by day.
*All classes will be approximately two hours long,
When:See upcoming events
Individual Introductory Sessions
As an initial step toward enrolment in the UM course, an individual session is conducted for prospective participants. This session provides an opportunity to:
- Find out more about the program
- Explore whether the course is right for you at this time
- Answer any questions or concerns you may have about the course
- Explain the course commitments, including the daily mindfulness practice
For more information and to book your free individual introductory session, please contact
Michelle Morris: Phone: 03 9499 1585
Or email Michelle through the contact form